Friday, November 4, 2011

Assignment #2: Google's Branding

The 2nd assignment for class is to cover the branding for my chosen company, Google. Given Google's intricate approach to simplicity (I know, it sounds like an oxymoron), branding plays a BIG role in how they present themselves as on online presence and a rapidly growing company. I'm going to run down a list of aspects in Google's branding. But first, here's my drawn interpretation of Google downloading the internet (inspired by sci-fi depictions of infectious diseases).
A little upside down. but you get the picture.

Anyway, here we go:
  • Uniqueness: If being unique were a superpower, I'm pretty sure Google would be either Superman, or Thor. Given Google's original purpose when it started, the company has come a long way into making it's own identity and atmosphere. Going from search engine, provider to a full blown company within 10 years of it's inception (no relation to the movie) makes it unique without a doubt
  • Authenticity: Google's pretty damn authentic; they have their own brand of smartphones and tablets running under the "Android" division, as well as services such as GoogleTalk, (phone, chat) GoogleMaps (navigation/listings) & GoogleMail/Gmail (email). There's no "copy/paste" about the user experience in these services. Not to mention if you have a Gmail account to start with, virtually all their services are available to you.
  • Likeability: I think Google has always advertised itself as a tool first and a corporate identity second (sometimes on the same level). From its commercials, promos, and products you don't receive a "conglomerate/factory" feeling. Despite the power Google really does possess (it's always growing), it doesn't let that power take over the overall feel of the company.
    • The name "Google" can be viewed as unique, whimsical, or even silly. But truth be told, "Google" is derived from the word "Googol", which is actually a mathematical term. It is "the figure 1 followed by 100 zeros equal to 10^100". Interesting since Google features seemingly limitless results in specific searches.
    • Google also has many spokespeople who announce (most of the time through conferences or blog/video posts) new developments with Google's services & products. This gives the company the feeling of an even employee structure. Of course there's a CEO, Larry Page (co-founder of Google), but he's not making all the announcements himself from a glorified platform.
  • Overall Personality: The overall personality is that of a laid back, yet hard working company. If you personified Apple, they'd be more of the "techno-nerd who is social, and always looks for new ways to dazzle their friends". Google is that new guy who "sees what his competition is creating, and succeeds in doing his own work and giving it his own flair while still being friendly about it". Google presents a simple, yet layered experience for its fans, users, & employees.

10 comments:

  1. I'm going to age myself, but when I was an undergrad taking a required Computer Science course, my professor introduced us to this "new" search engine that simplified EVERYTHING. It amazes me to see how far Google has come since that class and all the ways it has expanded. The best part, though? Google is STILL simple. I have anxiety attacks if I accidentally hit the search box for Bing or Yahoo or virtually anything else and lose that familiar, clean webpage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice picture Avery! I understand what your drawing suggests. Just to iterate what Kylene said, I agree Google's search engine is widely used service, which is "clear and simple" and whose original purpose holds true today, but delivers information and content in different ways since its creation. I agree with assessment of Google using the UAT filter from our readings. I do like your comments on Google's authenticity. Google was a company first started as simple search engine, that soon became a large scale content organizer. Google used its basic platform to design their mobile operating system through innovation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Kylene: I remember my friend and I were in either 6th or 7th grade and we used to Google to find picture of cartoons so we could trace them. We had never seen a search engine that could pull up so many different references that were fairly relevant.
    To Conrad: Thanks! I do see Google as a growing "organism" in the technology/business world. Google, like Apple, is a company that puts user experience in their list of top priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude just let me know when Skynet becomes self aware. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Google is a company that doesn't need to do any marketing. All its users do the marketing for them! Everyone loves Google and everyone says "Just Google it." I cannot tell you how many times my boss has asked me to do something and I'll just "Google It" - You can literally find out anything on Google!

    Now it's common knowledge that Facebook and Google have been waging a war against one another - Google + vs Facebook - So who do you think will ultimately win?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Google has definitely created its own form of uniqueness. I agree Comm 502 bjk, I love how it starts off just the logo and search bar. I also think it is very unique and smart of them when they change their logo to match the theme of the day. They had a contest allowing user to submit their own version of the Google logo and ran a contest for all ages. This is a great way to get your user involved and associated deeper with a company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice artwork, and i also agree with bjk, the thing that still stands out the most to me is the simplicity of just saying google and a searchbar. Google's uniqueness is what enabled them to take over the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job. You've covered all the bases and have done some good writing in the process.

    I am not quite sure about the authenticity section, simply because authenticity can mean a lot of things and show up in a lot of ways. Defining the term at the start always helps. In this case, I have a hard time distinguishing between authenticity and innovation. Actually, you have more that could be used for authenticity in the likeability section.

    Still, a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job on the blog Avery, and I also have to agree with bjk. After all the years of Google, nothing has changed on their website. I guess simplicity truly is key.

    ReplyDelete